A career in Optometry can be extremely rewarding, both personally and professionally. If you are looking for a career in Optometry, there are a few things you need to know about the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala.
The Optometry Diploma course in Kerala is a two-year full-time course. The course is divided into six semesters, with each semester having a duration of six months. The first year of the course is devoted to classroom teaching, while the second and third years are spent on clinical training.
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be awarded the Diploma in Optometry. The course is recognized by the AICTE and the COA.
If you are looking for a career in Optometry, the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala is the perfect course for you.
2. What is the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala?
The Optometry Diploma course in Kerala is designed to equip students with the necessary skills to diagnose and manage various ophthalmologic conditions. The course focuses on providing learners with theoretical and practical knowledge pertaining to optometry.
Core areas covered include refraction techniques, visual perception, vision and binocular vision, optical and physiological optics, contact lenses, ocular movements, and ocular diseases. The course also covers the use of ophthalmic instruments and techniques, diagnosis and management skills as well as the interpretive abilities required for patient care.
In addition to classroom instruction, the course also includes clinical training. This involves training under the supervision of an optometrist where the students learn to diagnose and treat patients. This education will enable them to diagnose and prescribe treatments for eye-related problems.
At the end of the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala, students are awarded the Diploma in Optometry. This qualification will allow them to set up an independent practice or work as clinical optometrists in India or abroad.
3. What are the objectives of the course?
The objectives of the Optometry Diploma Course in Kerala are to equip participants with the theoretical and practical skills required to accurately diagnose and treat ophthalmologic conditions. The successful completion of the course will result in the graduates receiving the Diploma in Optometry which will enable them to set up their own independent practice or work as clinical optometrists in India and abroad.
Specifically, the course will enable participants to gain:
– Knowledge and understanding of the principles of optometry
– Ability to accurately diagnose and manage ophthalmologic conditions
– Expertise in the use of ophthalmic instruments and techniques
– Ability to understand the principles of contact lenses, physiological optics, and optical instruments
– Understanding of the principles of visual perception and binocular vision
– Training in interpreting, diagnosing, and prescribing for patients
– Expertise in the management and treatment of ocular diseases, and ocular movements
4. What are the eligibility criteria for the course?
In order to be eligible to be part of The Optometry Diploma Course in Kerala, the course requires the candidates to have the following qualifications:
– Completed graduation or post-graduation in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics or Biology from a recognized university
– Physics and Chemistry should be studied as separate subjects in Class 12th
– Should have studied Optometry/Ophthalmic Optics/Visual Science/Ophthalmology/Physiology/Environmental Science at either graduation or post-graduation level
– A minimum of 45% marks in the qualifying examination
– Aptitude and knowledge of physics and chemistry.
The eligible candidates need to appear and qualify in an entrance examination conducted by the institute. The entrance examination is designed to assess the aptitude and problem-solving capabilities of the candidates. Also, the successful completion of the written test and the interview are also compulsory before admission into the course.
5. What is the duration of the course?
The Optometry Diploma Course in Kerala is for a duration of two years. It is a full-time course that requires the candidates to attend classes and practical sessions. The course consists of theoretical classes, practical sessions to give hands-on experience, and clinical sessions in an optometry laboratory. The course provides the necessary knowledge and skills required to practice optometry in India. The course also provides internship and job placement services for students after completion.
6. What is the structure of the course?
The Optometry Diploma Course in Kerala is divided into six modules. Each module consists of several units that delve deeper into various aspects of optometry. The modules and units included in the course are:
1. Module 1 – Introduction to the Eye: This module provides a thorough overview of the anatomy and physiology of the eye. It covers topics such as the structure and function of the eye, physiological optics, the optics of vision, and the clinical application of optometry.
2. Module 2 – Refraction: This module focuses on the science and art of refracting, or determining the optical errors of the eye. Topics covered include basic refraction, ophthalmic lenses, and optometric instruments.
3. Module 3 – Ophthalmic Diagnostics and Treatment: This module focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of various eye disorders. Topics covered include primary eye care and ocular disorders.
4. Module 4 – Low Vision and Interdisciplinary Practice: This module deals with providing vision care services for people with low vision. Topics covered include low vision and its impact on quality of life and the use of low vision aids.
5. Module 5 – Contact Lens: This module deals with the use of contact lenses in vision correction. Topics covered include contact lens basics, fitting and design, and contact lens materials and options.
6. Module 6 – Professional Practice: This module provides the necessary knowledge and skills to run a professional practice
7. What are the career prospects after the course?
Completing the Optometry Diploma Course in Kerala could help you open the door to a wide range of career opportunities. You could pursue a variety of optometry-related careers, such as an optometrist, optometric assistant, ophthalmic technician, ophthalmic photographer, and more.
As an optometrist, you could open up your own practice, work in a private practice, a university, a clinical setting, or a research laboratory. If you choose to work in a clinic, you could be involved in the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of eye-related diseases. You would also counsel patients on optical care and management of their vision-related issues.
If you prefer to work in a research setting, you could conduct clinical trials and research related to the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of eye- and vision-related diseases. You could even contribute to the development of new treatments and technologies.
In addition to these career paths, optometrists can use their skills to work in administrative roles, such as in private and public hospitals, research centers, schools, and insurance firms. An optometrist can also become certified as an ophthalmic discharge planner, which involves helping patients transition from acute care to their home and other appropriate settings.
The job outlook for optometrists is projected to rise faster than average in the coming years, which means there is an increased demand for qualified and experienced optometrists. There are
8. To wrap things up
After the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala, an entry-level optometrist can expect an annual salary ranging from Rs. 2 lakhs to 5 lakhs per annum. Salaries of optometrists with experience can reach up to 8 lakhs per annum or more.
The great thing about pursuing a career in optometry is that it provides various options for advancement. A qualified and experienced optometrist can move up the ranks and take on management roles in administrative or research settings or even open their own practice.
Once you’ve completed the Optometry Diploma course in Kerala, the possibilities for career growth are vast! With hard work and dedication, you’ll be well-equipped to find rewarding employment in a field you’re passionate about.